Weatherization is the installation of energy conservation efforts which includes infiltration and non-infiltration measures. Our goal is to reduce energy costs while improving energy efficiency and ensuring health and safety for low-income families, particularly the elderly, people with disabilities, and families with young children.

Weatherization measures may include:

  • Weather-stripping, caulking doors and windows
  • Testing, repairing, or replacement* of refrigerators, heating and/or cooling systems, and gas cooking appliance repair
  • Insulating walls, ceilings, floors and attics
  • Installing low-flow shower heads
  • Replacing compact fluorescent lights
  • Duct repair and replacement

These changes help to increase the comfort of your home while saving you money. Without weatherization, homes lose energy, making heating/cooling units work harder to keep your home at a constant temperature, resulting in wasted energy and increased utility costs.

Additional components of the weatherization services are the Emergency Heating and Cooling Services Program (EHCS) and the Lead Hazard Control Program. The EHCS program assists families facing an energy crisis such as an inoperable water heater, furnace, or heating and cooling unit. Fresno EOC Weatherization may be able to assist eligible households with minor repairs or replacements for qualifying units when certain conditions are met. *

The Lead Hazard Control Program specifically targets Fresno County residential units built prior to 1978, where lead levels in and around the home exceed federal standards and children under 6 years reside.

Some of these homes have elevated lead levels because of the construction materials and methods used.  Lead exposure can affect nearly every system in the body and because lead exposure often occurs with no obvious symptoms, it frequently goes unrecognized. At higher concentration levels lead can lead to permanent damage in children affecting cognitive function and development. *

*For specific information on this service, please call our office and ask to speak to one of our Intake Representatives for more information.