Children are provided with a variety of age appropriate early childhood education-learning experiences to foster intellectual, social, and emotional growth.
- They participate in indoor and outdoor play and are introduced to the concepts of words, numbers, and other pre-kindergarten skills.
- They are encouraged to express their feelings and to develop self-confidence and the ability to get along with others.
- Children with disabilities are included with non-disabled children.
Children are provided with comprehensive medical, dental, mental health, and nutritional services, including meals/snacks each day.
- Many low-income preschool children have never seen a doctor or dentist before. Head Start makes referrals to needed community resources and pays for the
services when the families are unable to pay.
- Parents are made aware of the need for early attention to any special problems their children may have. Head Start then makes needed referrals to community resources.
Parents are the primary educators of their children.
- Parent involvement is the key ingredient to the success of Head Start children and their families in meeting many of their goals.
- Participation includes volunteering in the classroom, actively participating in home visits, making decisions regarding budgets, curriculum planning, staff hiring, training and all aspects of Head Start.
Families are provided with social service assistance to assess and better meet their various needs.
- Typical services are referrals to needed resources, family partnership agreements, information about available community resources, school enrollment, and emergency assistance and/or crisis intervention.
- Parents are provided with information regarding the emotional, social, health, nutritional, and psychological needs of their children and educational/literacy activities that can be carried out at home.
Applicants must meet federal low-income guidelines, live in Fresno County, have a child/children ages 3-4.9 years of age. Applicant's child/children must be up-to-date on all immunizations. Children with disabilities are welcome.